Mastery 2 builds on the knowledge and clinical proficiency gained in Mastery 1 with continued emphasis on skill development to manage a broad spectrum of cases and severities of obstructive sleep apnea. Students will participate in oral appliance selection and create a prescription for a laboratory to fabricate an oral appliance. Lectures will develop a more in-depth understanding of normal sleep and the consequences of poor quality sleep, including phase delay circadian rhythms in adolescents. Exploring alternative treatments such as surgery and CPAP will lay a foundation for guiding patient decision-making and anticipating combining therapies for best outcomes. A focus on titration goals, understanding maximum medical improvement, and side effect management furnishes practitioner confidence and promotes best patient care.
Completion of Mastery 1 is required to participate in Mastery 2. After completing both courses, dentists will be eligible for the ABDSM certification examination. To learn more about the ABDSM exam, click here.
Upon completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
2. Develop critical understanding of OSA pathophysiology and co-morbidities such as cardiovascular, metabolic and neurocognitive concerns.
3. Explain the influence of confounding respiratory influences and possible remedies.
4. Improve OAT outcomes by understanding maximum medical improvement (MMI) and exploring combinations of therapies
5. Prepare patients for oral appliance wear and titration, monitoring signs, symptoms and side effects.
6. Anticipate and manage side effects that could compromise treatment objectives.
7. Incorporate protocols to maximize staff efficiency following a medical practice model, with an understanding of medical insurance coding and billing requirements.
8. Clearly communicate device design to laboratories, avoiding costly mistakes, and consider benefits of digital technology in practice.
9. Explore alternative and emerging therapies for SDB.
10. Anticipate oral appliance efficacy for individual cases and consider combinations of therapies for best clinical outcomes.
11. Confidently manage OA side effects and patient expectations
12. Explain the etiology and prevalence of pediatric SDB, the differences with adult SDB and the efficacies of treatment options.
13. Incorporate pediatric screening and referral protocols.
14. Continue to build an understanding of the medical practice model with medical-legal considerations.
15. Perfect an appropriate algorithm for patient management that begins with screening and ends with long-term follow-up.
Successful completion of Mastery 1 including all clinical competency assignments and the Mastery 1 Quiz.
Clinical Competency Assignments
Mastery 2 includes several clinical competency assignments that require patient interaction. These assignments are required to successfully complete Mastery 2. Registered attendees will receive detailed instructions regarding these assignments. For an overview of clinical competency assignments, click the button below. The deadline for the two patient cases for Mastery 2 (for both the virtual and in-person courses) is June 30, 2023. However, if you intend on sitting for the 2023 ABDSM exam, the deadline for the two patient cases is March 31, 2023.
2022 Virtual Mastery 2 Information
Virtual Mastery 2 consists of pre-recorded lectures that are available on-demand in the AADSM Online Learning Center so you can access the lectures when it works best for you. Registration for the 2022 virtual Mastery 2 will remain open through December 2022. To sit for the 2023 ABDSM exam, Mastery 2 must be completed by March 31, 2023, including delivering appliances to two patients. Participants who do not intend to sit for the 2023 ABDSM exam will have until June 30, 2023 to complete the on-demand course, including delivering appliances to two patients, regardless of the date of registration. Access to the course is not immediate upon registering. Please allow 1-2 business days to receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with information on how to access the course in the AADSM Online Learning Center. NOTE: In 2023, Mastery 2 will include an in-person component that will be required. As such, the 2022 virtual Mastery 2 will be the final opportunity to complete the program entirely virtual.Virtual Mastery 2 CE hours: 41.75 (self-instructional/electronically mediated hours)
Click the button below to view an outline of the topics covered in Mastery 2, including the length of time for each lecture/activity.
Live Question and Answer Sessions (for virtual courses only)
During each virtual Mastery Course window, there will be live question and answer sessions where faculty will be available to answer questions submitted both in advance and during the discussion. Click the button below to view the dates and times for each session.
Live Q&A Sessions Schedule
Register for Virtual Mastery 2
Note: Your credit card will be charged the full registration fee at the time of registration.
Back to AADSM Mastery Program