As part of the comprehensive AADSM Mastery Program, Mastery Course II builds on the knowledge and clinical proficiency gained in Mastery Course I with continued emphasis on skill development. Students will participate in oral appliance selection and create a prescription for a laboratory to fabricate an oral appliance. Clinical competence and confidence with delivery and titration will be addressed with further development in Mastery Course III. Lectures will develop a more in-depth understanding of normal sleep and the consequences of poor quality sleep, including phase delay circadian rhythms in adolescents. Exploring alternative treatments such as surgery and CPAP will lay a foundation for guiding patient decision making and anticipating combining therapies for best outcomes.
Upon completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Describe co-morbidities of SDBs such as cardiovascular, metabolic and neurocognitive concerns.
- Identify critical data of sleep studies including sleep architecture, respiratory parameters and influence on oral appliance success expectations.
- Incorporate appropriate oral appliance delivery processes such as fitting for comfort, evaluation of midline, documentation and correspondence.
- Prepare patients for oral appliance use and titration, monitoring signs, symptoms and side effects.
- Anticipate and prepare to manage side effects that could compromise treatment objectives.
- Develop further understanding of the medical practice model and medical insurance coding and billing requirements.
- Successful completion of Mastery Course I including all pre-session assignments and a written exam.
- Read assigned articles
- Conduct a personal oral appliance trial
- Select two patients as part of the Guided Patient Cases and do the following:
- Complete an attestation document
- Submit intra-oral photos for each patient
- Complete an online survey on each of the two patients
- Read the SOAP Notes and Informed Consent Tutorial
- Read a sample SOAP note and take a quiz
| Practice Mgmt: Device Delivery and Recall|
DDS vs Staff Roles
Appointment Times and Spacing
|Student Device Selection and Review|
|Decision Making for Guided Patient Cases|
| Side Effects of OAT-TMJ|
|Avoiding Side Effects|
|Normal Sleep, II|
|Problematic Sleep Including SDB|
| Problematic Sleep and Neurocognitive, Metabolic,|
Physiologic, Societal Impact
| Testing Options and Guidelines|
(Continued from Mastery I)
| Treating SDB with PAP Essentials II|
(Continued from Mastery I)
|Post Delivery Care and Appointments|
|Insurance Coding and Reimbursement I|
|Insurance Coding and Reimbursement II|
|Nasal-Pharyngeal Anatomy and Imaging|
|Nasal Examination for Dentists|
|Surgeries and Procedures|